The Glenn A. Black Laboratory of Archaeology (GBL) was established in 1965 as a repository for archaeological collections and associated documents from the Midwestern United States. The greater part of these collections came through a transfer of all archaeological material held by the Indiana Historical Society to the GBL in 1971, including Mr. Eli Lilly’s personal collection and Glenn A. Black's work at the Angel Mounds Site (12Vg1) from 1938 to his untimely death in 1964. The GBL also contains an exhibit gallery on Indiana archaeology and a large research library that includes the Ohio Valley-Great Lakes Ethnohistory Archives.
The GBL is seeking interns that can assist in the following areas:
- archives and material collections management (e.g., paper, multimedia, artifacts)
- digitization, 3-D scanning, photography
- database and website development
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- virtual tours and web-based exhibits
Graduate and undergraduate credit may be possible through a variety of programs at Indiana University and Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI), including the following disciplines: