Guided tours of the Glenn A. Black Laboratory are available during regular exhibit hall hours and by prior appointment only. To schedule a tour for your group please contact curator Melody Pope at email@example.com or 812-855-0022.
Tours and Educational Programming at the Glenn Black Lab
1. Self-guided tours of objects and photographs on exhibit in the lobby and/or exhibit hall are one option. Please schedule your self-guided tour at least one week in advance to ensure that your class isn’t competing for space and resources with another class. We encourage you to design a worksheet or activity for your class to engage in while they are in our exhibits. We are happy to help you with this. If you would like our assistance in designing activities then please contact us at least three weeks in advance.
2. Collections-based tours are available. If you wish to have a collections-based tour we ask that you scheduled your tour at least three weeks in advance. Please be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What is the learning objective you hope to achieve through a class visit?
- What artifact(s) would be most relevant to your visit? (If you are not familiar with our collection we may ask that you meet with our staff to discuss your visit.)
3. Facility tours highlight the work of the Lab and offer students a behind-the scenes look at the processing and curation spaces as well as insight into our archival and photographic holdings. These must be booked at least three weeks in advance. For the safety of the collection and the comfort of your students we can only take 15 students at a time into these spaces. Larger groups can be broken into two or more groups depending on the length of your class.
4. The Teaching Collection can be used on-site or materials may be checked out for lab or classroom use. Please contact our staff if you are interested in using pieces from the teaching collections. Please book at least two weeks ahead of time.
Questions we may ask when planning for your tour:
- What dates and times work for you? (Please note that your date is not secured until you receive a confirmation email from our staff.)
- What is your course number and title (Ex. COLL E104 Rise and Fall of Ancient Civilizations).
- How many students are in your class?
- What is the objective of your class? What is the objective of this particular visit?
- What text or article is being assigned in conjunction with the visit?
- What three things do you hope your students remember after the visit?
- What is one big question or idea you would like them to explore during their time at the GBL?